Advanced Open Water Diver
If you don’t already own your basic gear, get it now for about 50% off! Sign up for the Advanced Open Water course and choose the gear package option at checkout for an extra $199! Gear package includes fins, boots, mask, snorkel, weight belt, and 10 pounds of weight.*
PLUS: Purchase the gear package with your open water course and receive a FREE mask, snorkel, and fin bag!!
*No refunds available for gear package. This package is only available with the purchase of a course. Some students may need more than 10 pounds of weight. Extra weight must be purchased separately.
Exploration, Excitement, Experiences.
They’re what the PADI Advanced Open Water Diver course is all about. And no, you don’t have to be “advanced” to take it – it’s designed so you can go straight into it after the PADI Open Water Diver course. The Advanced Open Water Diver course helps you increase your confidence and build your scuba skills so you can become more comfortable in the water. This is a great way to get more dives under your belt while continuing to learn under the supervision of your PADI Instructor. This course builds on what you’ve learned and develops new capabilities by introducing you to new activities and new ways to have fun scuba diving.
You’ll hone your skills by completing five adventure dives that introduce you to:
- Underwater navigation
- Deeper water diving (typically anywhere from 18-30 metres/ 60-100 feet)
- A sampler of three more Adventure Dives of your choice
Number of dives: 5
Knowledge Development: 5 Sections
Prerequisites: Open Water Diver or Junior Open Water Diver.
Materials Needed: Adventures in Diving Crew-Pak, Adventures in Diving Manual and Video Log Book.
Includes: Course, PADI Certification Card Fee, Text Material & 2 tanks
One reason you’ll love the Advanced Open Water Diver course is that you and your instructor choose from 15 types of Adventure Dives to complete your course. You can try your hand at digital underwater photography, wreck diving, diving with underwater scooters, peak performance buoyancy and much more.
Get credit! Each Adventure Dive in the PADI Advanced Open Water Diver course may credit toward the first dive of the corresponding PADI Specialty Diver course.
To take this course, you must be:
- A PADI Open Water Diver (or qualifying certification from another training organization)
- 15 years old (12 for Junior Advanced Open Water Diver)
The knowledge and skills you get in the Advanced Open Water Diver course vary with your interest and the adventures you have, but include:
- Practical aspects of deep diving
- Physiological effects of deeper scuba diving.
- More ways to use your underwater compass
- How to navigate using kick-cycles, visual landmarks and time
- How to better use your dive computer and electronic Recreational Dive PlannerTM (eRDPTM)
- And much, much more, depending on the Adventure Dives you choose
Basic Required Gear (not included in student rental package):
- Mask and snorkel
- Fins and boots
- Weights and weight belt
- Defog / mask cleaner
- Dive Logbook
Major Required Gear (available for sale or as part of a $50 Student Rental Package):
- Buoyancy control device
- Regulator system with octo and gauges
- Dive computer
- Tanks (2 are included in the rental package)
- Exposure protection
Recommended Optional Gear * (some of our instructors will require you to have these items):
- Dive light (a secondary back-up light is also recommended)
- Whistle or other audible signaling device
- Surface marker buoy
- Dive knife / scuba tool
*Some of these items are available for rent at the shop, however, in many places it is required that divers buy and carry their own. Check with us about renting vs. buying these diving accessories.